Making mobility smarter for a sustainable future
Opportunities for new market segments and convergences driven by strong end-user experiences are shifting traditional products and services into entirely different business models.
Connected Autonomous Shared Electric (CASE) is turning the automotive industry upside down, while trends in micro-mobility such as intuitive or on-demand mobility are transforming mass transit and last-mile transportation. Cities are making room for increased pedestrian and micro-mobility traffic while reducing automobile capacity.
Connecting vehicles to their mobile dynamically rich environments (V2X) is bringing in efficiency and elevated experiences. Data analytics, ML and AI solutions are driving the next phases of mobility.
The growth of freelance and remote work is enabling popular nomad lifestyles that are impacting the RV and travel industries.
Smart tech real-time tracking, electronic logging devices (ELDs), robotization and data intelligence in logistics are rapidly changing the way things are made, stored, delivered and purchased. Current trends in last-mile delivery include drones and autonomous vehicles or trucks (AVs or ATs). These advances are expected to significantly bring down fulfillment, supply chain costs and timings.
Opentrends mobility expertise and capabilities
Opentrends is at the forefront of these changes, being user-centric and working at the confluence of multiple industries, we have a comprehensive vision and advantageous approach. Our Agile Transformative Teams develop custom solutions and harness sensor data in the development of viable smart technologies providing real business insights. Our teams have expertise in the fields of smart cities, smart pools, medical devices and interfaces, connected vehicles, and other mobility innovations that transform the end-user environment.
How Opentrends can help mobility companies gain competitive advantage through:
- On-Board infotainment conceptualization, in-vehicle super-fast prototype design and integration, UX/UI infotainment design and user engagement.
- RV and other vehicle connectivity and real-time value through IoT, data analytics, and service monetization solutions.
- API architecture optimization and advanced MNO (Mobile Network Operator) and other system integration capabilities.
Opentrends mobility ecosystem support
Some mobility client stories
Automotive and RV
- Onboard embedded software management system for bus and subway: Architecture and implementation of a comprehensive system that controls and monitors in real-time a fleet of 1,000+ vehicles in a context of critical response-time with impacted data transmissions. The client has now gained real-time visibility into fleet operations and is better positioned to make educated decisions based on data.
- Bus on-demand system solves last-mile challenges: Our previously developed smart fleet system allowed us to run a beta where residents can book bus rides on-demand through a mobile app. Route, payment, and pick-up information are all available through the app. Our deployed beta system significantly reduces last-mile distances, substitutes underutilized bus lines, and contributes to an efficient and sustainable mobility ecosystem.
- Legacy upgrade to manage operations and ride sales for a major City’s Transportation Authority: Redevelopment of a web-based application on J2EE into a responsive design that unifies payment systems across multimodal transport systems. The client saw a significant fare evasion reduction, greater operational efficiencies and has gained the ability to sell 3rd party products and services through an open API. Utilized technologies: WildFly, Hibernate for data mapping, Jenkins and GIT, Oracle, Firebase and API development.
- The first OEM Apple CarPlay app implementation: In 2016 Opentrends developed and implemented the first OEM's app delivering an entirely new digital experience. Users could run basic diagnostics on their vehicles and schedule dealer services from their mobile devices. Utilized technologies: Swift, CarPlay, high availability reusing and extending the MirrorLink app’s backend architecture (also developed by us), Apache Tomcat, replica set in MongoDB and Oracle, and OpenCMS static content manager. Client Case
- OEM’s after-sale customer interactions with native app design and AI chat functionalities: Major carmaker's service network App development which included AI chat functionalities engaging vehicle owners and service managers. The project included a series of target segment usability sprints supporting UX development with agile methodologies for the app development. Backend technologies used: Angular JS, Java, OpenCMS, and Docker. Client Case
- Unified Digital Experience for a world’s top automaker: Having previously developed OEM applications for smart devices, post-sales and buying experiences, this OEM required the unification of the ownership experience through a single application. The OEM was seeking the benefit of having unified data. We developed a backend solution to collect vehicle and driver/owner data via OBD-2 and the driver’s smartphone combining data from both sources. Technologies used are iOS and Android native development, Mockups, Dongle simulation car using WebSocket, and Java to build the data configuration backend.
- Redeveloped DealerNet portal allows leading OEM to streamline supply chain: Architecture design and implementation of the extranet portal management system for an automaker’s leading brands. The customized portal enhances collaboration and communication between suppliers, dealers and multiple brands. Additional features provide advanced workflow management solutions such as customized incoming requests from dealerships and fleet operations controls. The OEM saves maintenance costs from gained efficiency in planning, operations, reporting and analysis. Technologies utilized: Liferay, open-source Activiti BPM to build the workflow, and Angular web framework.
- IoT data analytics for passenger boarding bridges (PBBs): Opentrends developed the plans for an IoT Data Analytics Cloud Platform running on AWS that would process millions of real-time signals from operating PBBs. The platform has the potential to generate new revenue streams, significantly improve and reduce the total cost of ownership (TCO). Thanks to its modular architecture, the proposed solution can be developed at any time without becoming obsolete nor encountering growth limitations. Client Case
- Cloud-native IoT platform analyzes one of the largest Low Emission Zones (LEZ) in Europe: Architecture design and development of the system collecting and analyzing vehicle and environmental data generated from the LEZ. The platform runs on AWS, has been integrated with 3rd party data source systems, and allows for system scalability. The platform follows an SOA architecture system oriented to business logic, providing the client the flexibility of developing related services or adding new applications. We used JAVA Spring APIs as backend services and REST frontends (Spring boot) using Bootstrap / React JS frameworks. Client Case
Learn about what Opentrends’ mobility experts have to say.